Monday, February 25, 2013

New week, new beginnings

Hello again Monday, we meet again.

For many of us, Monday is like our own personal reoccurring villain.

"Do you expect me to go to work today?"
"No Mr. Puck, I expect you to die."

Yes, after two short days of sitting at home and doing whatever your heart desires, it is back to the grind. Or is it? Did you ever leave the grind in the first place? I realize that not everyone has a M-F work week, but follow me here and humor me.

I know calendars show us that Sunday is the first day of the week, but culturally most of us think of Monday as the beginning. Even if you don't work M-F, our first indoctrination to "The Grind" is in school, which at least for me was Monday first.

Today is a special Monday. As the ever so reliable Wikipedia defines Monday:

Monday (i/ˈmʌndeɪ/ or /ˈmʌndi/) is the day of the week between Sunday and Tuesday. According to the Christian, Islamic and Hebrew calendars, it is the second day of the week. But according to international standard ISO 8601 it is the first day of the week. The name of Monday is derived from Old English Mōnandæg and Middle English Monenday, which means "moon day".

Today is the day of the moon, and tonight is the full moon. One could argue that today could be seen as a day of great power. So just for today, let us suspend our adversarial relationship with Monday, try it just for today, and take this as an opportunity.

A day of New Beginnings of the Holy Day of the Moon.

A day to turn our attention away from the things that distract us from our spiritual reality, and to cultivate our True Self.

Have to work today? You could spend the day bemoaning the fact that it is no longer the weekend, but does that change the linear reality of Days of the Week? Or you could choose to find a way to cultivate your spirit in the work. Can't find a way? Well maybe your new beginning should be to spruce up your resume.

I am going to make kala. I am going to do my job to the best of my ability. After work I am going to play with my son. When he takes a nap maybe I will write some poetry, or do some trance work. I will seize the most Holy of days in my religion, the Day of Today.

So what do you choose for your Monday? Bond villain or Holy Day of the Goddess that is Yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment